Businesses are required to obtain opt-in before sending proactive business-initiated messages to customers outside the 24-hour window. Businesses can obtain opt-in in a multitude of ways, both on and off WhatsApp.
Opt-in methods such as via your website, interactive voice response (IVR) flows or in a WhatsApp thread are acceptable.
Businesses must follow the below requirements when obtaining opt-in:
- Businesses must clearly state that a person is opting in to receive messages from the business over WhatsApp
- Businesses must clearly state the business’ name that a person is opting in to receive messages from
- Businesses must comply with applicable law
As long as the opt-in method meets the above requirements, it will be policy compliant. The following are examples of supported opt-in methods:
- In a WhatsApp thread
- By phone (using an interactive voice response (IVR) flow)
- In person or on paper (customers can sign a physical document to opt in)
We strongly recommend that businesses continue to optimize for the user experience when designing opt-in flows.